10.28.2012

WIKI, BUCKET LIST, AND FEEVTY - FEEVTY

It's an attempting title, "The Geography of Bliss". Well, the word "geography" actually attracts me more than the "bliss". Complete with the eye catching cover and the "New York Times Bestseller", I decided to buy this book. Actually, I kind of bore with all of those "motivation" or "pursue of happiness" genre. So when I bought this book I expect to be entertained by the adventure of the writer, Eric Weiner, and not to be preached by those pursue of happiness thing ;p

Well, I didn't mean to make a free promotion here, but it's an interesting book. I feel like reading wikipedia. I found many interesting part that make me curious (so I end up with googling more information about it), slapped (oh yeah that's too much. I really wanna avoid this part but I just can't), and yeah I just put a few more countries to visit in my bucket list.

The writer went to 10 countries (including his hometown, US) for a research about happiness. He wanna find out which one is the happiest country (off course country here refers to the people). And it's quite amuse to know a few interesting fact about those countries. Well, since I didn't mean to make a book review, I won't describe many of those facts ;p. But it's nice to know there is a country which is already well known as the unhappiest one (it's Maldova), there is a man in Qatar who spent USD 2,5 million to buy a cellphone number (it's 66666 --> believed as the lucky number), that sun still 'reluctant' to 'show up' in Iceland even it's noon already (yeah I just knew about it ;p) and also there is a wise man with his enlightening thought named Karma Ura in Bhutan.

This book gives me sense of curiosity. So I end up with browsing about Karma Ura, Aurora Borealis, Ashram, etc. But reading this book feels like reading Wiki already ;p. And yeah, I just add some more countries to visit in my bucket list. They are Bhutan, Iceland and Maldova! Quite sad that it looks like not that easy to visit Bhutan. I visit the official website off Bhutan embassy and seems like there is no information about visa application for the tourist. Later I know to obtain the visa can be arranged via Bhutan Travel Agent which will cost you a lot lot lot of money! And Iceland? Good news you can visit this country with Schengen visa! (yes I really want to include this country in my next year Europe trip. Ameeennn). But just prepare your wallet. Your wallet will scream horribly in many times. Everything is sooooo expensive there. The last, Maldova! Ah, I just curious. I want to know what is the unhappiest country looks like ;p.

Speaking about those pursue of happiness things, this book presents it quite nicely I think. The idea is just right. Happiness is about acceptance. You accept what you are sincerely. Not thinking that you should be at the other place, doing something else, or being another person. Hemmm... Well, yeah acceptance. Acceptance, bring you to the grateful point of life and not thinking and worry too much. BUT... just like the writer said, those "ungrateful" and "lack of acceptance" bring us to many dreams and fight for them, which finally put us at new 'level' and 'grade'. It's like our fuel. The fuel that help you to fight, develops new thing and many more. The world with all of the great achievement now is the works of people who just not accept what had been put on their plate. They were not satisfied and settle down in the comfort zone.

However, I like the other happiness idea gave by this book. Happiness is also about relationship. That there is one thing that more noble that happiness. It's love! Love defeat happiness. Yes, many times we put our happiness behind just to let people we love feel their happiness, right?? ;p

If I'm asking my self right now, Am I happy?? Well, I really not interested to settle down in that comfort zone. Even it's put me in a "not happy zone". So it means I choose not to be happy? Yeah I guess. But I'm happy to be not happy. Cause it's make me happy while thinking that I will arrive at the new level and grade of my life. Ahhh, confuse hah? Ok, let's make it simple. Am I happy? I think the answer is the same like the writer said, feevty - feevty! And feevty-feevty is not bad. Not bad at all :)




4 comments: